Digital Signage Products: The Green Factor
With the increasing focus for businesses to help reduce global warming, what measures are we taking to ensure our digital signage solution is “environmentally friendly”?
As new technology is being developed, most manufacturers are designing digital signage products which will help reduce power consumption.
Generally for a digital signage solution one would need a screen and also a digital signage player (can be a PC, a small form factor embedded PC, or digital signage player).
When implementing a digital signage solution one should consider the following:
- the average power consumption of a plasma screen is 350 watts compared to LCD 213 watts
- the average power consumption of a PC is 78 watts compared to an embedded PC 8 watts (linutop)
If power efficiency is what you’re after, take note of the following:
- use screens, in particular LCD’s that consume less power
- screens uses power even when they’re not turned on!!! The standby power uses several watts. The best thing to do is to turn the device from the power point.
- decrease the LCD’s backlight. Most LCD’s these days have the option to control the intensity of the backlight but by doing so it makes the LCD screen less bright.
- use software tools to automatically shut down your digital signage player and screen rather than leaving it on 24/7
If you have any further ideas on how to futher save power, please let us know or discuss it on our digital signage forum.